StratoSolar PV provides a complete, lower cost replacement for fossil fuels
- StratoSolar PV power plants provide low-cost, sustainable, zero-carbon electricity from a combination of solar energy and gravity energy storage.
- The power plants are a complete, lower cost replacement for both base-load and dispatchable electricity generation from coal and natural gas.
- They need no backup fossil fuel generation, or electricity grid changes for transmission or electricity storage .
- They offer enormous environmental and energy security benefits over fossil fuels.
- They can scale from small MW scale plants for islands, remote locations and/or developing countries to very large multi-GigaWatt scale plants positioned near large urban areas.
- They can eventually meet the complete world energy demand using only clean, safe, sustainable solar energy without stressing available land or natural resources. Ground PV, because of daytime intermittency, can only ever provide a partial energy solution.
StratoSolar solves all the problems that limit the scale of deployment of current Solar PV electricity generation
- Cost: Despite dramatic PV panel price reductions in recent years, today's Solar PV electricity is still expensive. Investors need the support of substantial subsidies, today and for the foreseeable future. StratoSolar's 3X higher utilization factor reduces PV generated electricity cost to a fraction of ground PV generation and substantially less than fossil fuel generation, solving the cost problem.
- Daytime Intermittency: Clouds and bad weather can block sunlight for days to weeks. For PV on the ground, coping with this random intermittency requires either expensive backup fossil fuel generation capacity or excess clean energy generation capacity combined with excess long distance transmission capacity. StratoSolar is above clouds and weather and provides uninterrupted generation during daylight hours, directly solving the daytime intermittency problem without a need for backup generation, excess capacity or long distance transmission.
- Night Time Generation: There is no electricity storage solution that can provide cost competitive night time electricity today. StratoSolar includes low cost gravity energy storage, enabled by the high altitude of StratoSolar platforms, solving the night time generation problem.
- Geography: Solar energy is abundant in deserts where there are no people and scarce near urban areas where most people are located. Exploiting deserts means using expensive long distance electricity transmission. StratoSolar exploits abundant solar energy near urban areas, eliminating the need for additional long distance transmission and solves the geographic location problem.