StratoSolar provides a complete, lower cost replacement for fossil fuels
- StratoSolar PV power plants provide low-cost, sustainable, zero-carbon electricity from a combination of solar energy and gravity energy storage.
- The power plants are a complete, lower cost replacement for base-load and dispatchable electricity generation from coal and natural gas.
- They need no additional backup generation, electricity storage or electricity grid changes .
- They offer enormous environmental and energy security benefits over fossil fuels.
- They can scale from small MW scale plants for islands, remote locations and/or developing countries to very large multi-GigaWatt scale plants positioned near large urban areas.
- They can eventually meet the complete world energy demand using only clean, safe, sustainable solar energy without stressing available land or natural resources.
By solving all of the problems of current Solar PV electricity generation
- Cost: Because of high PV capital costs and low utilization, today's Solar PV electricity is expensive and investors need the support of substantial subsidies to make PV plants an acceptable investment.
- Intermittency: Clouds and bad weather can block sunlight for periods from seconds to weeks. This requires expensive backup fossil fuel generation capacity or excess generation and transmission capacity.
- Night Time: There is no electricity storage solution that can provide cost competitive night time electricity today.
- Geography: Solar energy is abundant in deserts where there are no people and scarce where people are. Exploiting deserts means using expensive long distance electricity transmission.